Featured Post

Crucified Before the Foundation of the World

"Crucified before the foundation of the world." What does that mean? How could that even happen? Historians and archaeologists ta...

Monday, February 15, 2016

Lent--Day Five

Jesus in Pray
Jesus in Pray (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
 In those days he went out to the mountain to pray; and all night he continued in prayer to God. Luke 6:12 (RSV)

Jesus prayed alone all night. What did he pray about? Maybe the recent challenges he experienced with the scribes and Pharisees were a big concern. Recently they criticized him because his disciples had eaten grain as they walked through a field. They had been charged with reaping on the Sabbath. Then he had healed a man with a deformed hand on the Sabbath in their presence, and they became enraged. They seemed to have more regard for the Sabbath than for people's needs.

Perhaps he was praying for what he was about to do. When they got up, he called them together and selected 12 of his followers to be his apostles. They came down from the mountain and stopped on a level place and he preached to them. Many in the crowd were touching him because healing power went out from him and they were healed. There was a large crowd from all over Judea, Jerusalem, and the seacoasts of Tyre and Sidon. This became know as the Sermon on the Plain.

Examining our circumstances and anticipating our challenges are points where we also benefit from prayer and communion with God. I often find that there are times when I pray to one or another of the Trinity. Jesus prayed to the Father, and the Spirit was often upon him. Sometimes I feel Jesus who was  human and lived in our world is the one I seek when I'm in need. Sometimes it's the Spirit who strengthens and comforts me. Sometimes it's the Father who brings peace to my troubled soul. Maybe it doesn't matter what I envision when I pray. Trinity means three in one--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are united and all are participants. And when I pray, I'm blessed.  



No comments:

Post a Comment